A Victorian Government initiative to deliver a helpful baby bundle to new parents was launched last month promising each new family in the state a goodie bag of nursery essentials to ease the transition into parenthood. The bags are being gifted to parents via all maternity hospitals and by Maternal Child Health Centres across the state. The packs are rather reminiscent of the Finnish baby boxes that have been offered to parents in Finland since the 1940’s, and aim to set up families with the basics a baby’s nursery needs and ensure parents are equipped with not only safe nursery items, but also important information for parents and key resources to support first time parents in caring for their new baby. The bundles are valued at $150 each. Let’s take a look inside, each includes:
- a Purebaby cotton growsuit
- a unisex nappy bag including change mat
- a safe ErgoPouch sleeping bag
- a Bubba Organics organic cotton snuggle wrap
- a baby teething ring
- a first-aid kit
- a Korango baby sun hat
- 4 picture books by Victorian authors
- a Jack n’ Jill Bio toothbrush
- emergency contacts and information on safe sleeping and wrapping
- parenting information from the Raising Children Network.
[image by Nicole Clay]
This package has been rolled out across Victorian Maternity Hospitals and is such a great idea to help support parents and educate them on safe sleeping and assist in encouraging early learning and development. The first 1000 days of a child’s life are the most important in determining their future, so this initiative is well positioned to make a positive impact on the next generation.